Re: [TenTec] Re: [WCARC] BPL Rollout A PLAN of ACTION

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: [WCARC] BPL Rollout A PLAN of ACTION
From: Arthur Bernstein <n2ka@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:33:00 -0500
Hello to all,
It's quite obvious that we cannot go around and intentionally interfere with another service. However, if, in the the course of our normal operating practices, we do disrupt the normal functioning of BPL systems (and from what I've been told it wouldn't take much), then we are not violating any regulations.
This is a potentially disasterous situation for ham radio as we know it.
I had to chuckle a bit when I read the attached email that stated that intentionally interfering with communications could result in hefty fines....etc...Isn't that what BPL is going to do? The directors of the power companies have been prewarned, haven't they? If so, this is intentional interference to licensed services. Or are we talking in tongues here?
What could conceivably hurt us is the apathy of the ham community.
Just a thought.
73,
Art., N2KA..
.

Bill KB9IV wrote:

Hello All,

I believe the part for intentionally interfering or causing
interference to a FCC authorized
communication will result in hefty fines, incarceration.
Even planning or
organizing it is a crime.
I'd drop it if I were you...............lets stick to Ten
Tec.

Best 73,

Bill KB9IV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
To: <WCARC@yahoogroups.com>;
<antenna-discussion@antennex.com>;
<TCARES_packet@yahoogroups.com>; <wc-ares@yahoogroups.com>;
<glowbugs@piobaire.mines.uidaho.edu>;
<qrp-l@mailman.qth.net>; "QRPp International Membership"
<membership@QRPp-I.com>; <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 5:15 PM
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [WCARC] BPL Rollout A PLAN of ACTION

Folks,
I have hit upon a way to derail BPL, if we all, as hams,

work together. I

followed the links to the BPL "Computerworld" news story

and then the links

to the companies involved and some of the computer web

magazines and printed

versions that are hyping BPL. In short order, I had reams

of info and

places to watch BPL RFI develop!

I suggest we all get on the air, and contact hams with

directional CQs in

the trial areas. Get them to go to the trial

neighborhoods with 100 watt

mobiles and carry on normal communications and listen for

BPL RFI. Then

see if they find reports in the press of BPL failures.

Write their local

paper about the potential threat to Disaster and Homeland

Security, (FEMA)

communications. Monitor and record BPL test

transmissions in the

neighborhood before transmitting; so that you know you are

near a BPL user.

We HAVE to have operational tests, and BPL must cease if

it interferes with

licensed services, that is us, and Public Safety, FM

broadcast, Coast Guard,

etc. Document what you find and report to Ed Hare at

ARRL. FCC has

already affirmed that BPL must play by the part 15 rules

to cease operating,

if it causes RFI.

Copy your Congressmen and Senators with a BPL protest and

fact sheet of its

hazards to Homeland Security, Public Safety Comms., Coast

Guard Short wave,

MARS, FM broadcasts, etc.

Contact these Computer trade mags and papers and point out

the downfalls of

BPL they have not mentioned, (RFI to and from). I have

identified even a

user of a trial in the Cincinnati neighborhood, Hyde Park.

"Go park in

front of her house", tell your Ohio ham friends, "and do

some mobile

transmitting." Fern Hofstetter and 100 others are in the

Hyde Park trial.

She has not had RFI up to the time of the news story.

In the next Six Mos., in Cincinnati neighborhoods of

Wyoming, Delhi, and

Terrace Park, more roll out BPL will be installed. Also,

the power co.

there serves Oh, IN and parts of Kentucky and plans BPL

there. As hams

here, we could aim beams that way and possibly record BPL

RFI, Refer to

ARRL web site sound files for samples. Report that to FCC

and Ed Hare at

ARRL. You will need good filters and sensitive receiving,

but I would

hazard a guess that once that genie is out of the bottle

of the power line,

it will propagate well if conditions are ripe.

Also, hams in Cincinnati should contact Brian Hamrick of

Ch. 5 TV there who

did a favorable BPL story and give him a sample of the BPL

RFI sound file

and the downside of the BPL roll out. Point out the

disaster comms

effects, and show him the ARRL video on BPL.

In Ossining NY, contact Police Chief Ken Donato, who has a

trial BPL

connection at the PD. He, of all people, should

appreciate the downsides

to Homeland Security. Also, hams in Westchester Co. NY

should look around

for the BPL homes there, and try to find the users and see

if mobiling in

front of their locations affects BPL.

Other power companies besides Consolidated Edison in NY,

(above), who are

rolling out BPL trials are Pepco in Washington DC, Ameren

in St. Louis MO.

and Penn. Power and Light. Southern Telecom and Ambient

in Alabama are

going to try BPL, and Main.net in Atlanta GA.

We should contact "Network World Fusion" with numerous

accounts of how BPL

can interfere and get our ARRL reps to do likewise. It

only took me about

5 minutes to find user name, companies involved, towns and

even

neighborhoods by the news stories on the web. The

Internet can be a

powerful ally in fighting BPL, if we all surf a bit and

stay on top of these

trials, and get ARRL to do likewise. If enough buzz is

made about the BPL

problems potential, it will get reasonable investors and

technocrats

concerned that maybe this is not viable after all.

Good Luck and 73,
Stuart
K5KVH