[TenTec] Argonaut V's Glossary

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V's Glossary
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:26:35 -0500
As I read the many postings regarding problems/quirks of the Orion, I am reminded of how trouble-free and well-designed is the Argonaut V. It is an excellent entry-level HF rig, as well as one that provides a sophisticated receiver not usually found in such rigs. A success from the get-go.

One other thing that places the Argonaut in exclusive company is an excellent manual, complete with glossary. There may be a few other manufacturers that have troubled to produce a glossary for buyers of their transceivers, but none I know of that match the glossary Ten-Tec provides with the Argonaut.

I wrote to T-T about using the glossary as a starting point for publishing a truly complete one, but did not get a bite. The ARRL has glossaries scattered throughout its publications, and the definitions depend on who wrote them and when--there is no uniformity. (ARRL says they do not have the manpower to do a comprehensive glossary of their own, which is somewhat odd given its recent emphasis on radios in schools and mentoring.)

What many people with Extra Class licenses overlook is how daunting to newcomers is our hobby, how technically challenging it is, and how loaded it is with abbreviations and terms that are indigenous to hamdom. Of course, that means there is endless stuff to investigate, no end to what can be learned, which is a good thing. On the other hand, I've found that to proceed in an orderly manner, with some attempt to grasp the fundamentals in an organized way, having a glossary is essential.

To fill the void, I have cobbled together bits and pieces of one for my own use. It is too primitive for publication. But I still hope that Ten-Tec would see fit to become a publisher by following up on the excellent start they made with the Argonaut's glossary. It would be a tremendous aid IMHO for many folks starting out in the hobby, and it might even provide useful information for old-timers, plus being a good marketing tool for Ten-Tec and the hobby generally.

73,
John, W3ULS