[TenTec] Orion problem with SteppIR control box...any Seattle-area Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion problem with SteppIR control box...any Seattle-area Orion owners?
From: "Torrey L. Mitchell" <torreym@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:39:32 -0600
Recently I received my long awaited Orion.  What a rig!

I was dismayed to discover that the design of the SteppIR control box did not
allow automatic control of the elements as the rig frequency changes.  I called
SteppIR and they confirmed the problem.  Seems the fixed baud rate of 57,600
from the Orion was not considered in the design of the control box.

To SteppIR's credit, they have been working hard on a serial interface board
modification for the Orion.  They've had my control box for almost three weeks
now.  They think they have figured out the modification but presently have no
Orion to beta-test the fix.  Until they receive an Orion or can use someone
else's...my control box and therefore my only beam antenna are not available to
me.

Help!  Mike K7IR at SteppIR is looking for an Orion owner in the general
Seattle area.  He's wanting to be able to spend an hour or two at some Orion
owner's shack to test out the Orion serial board mod.  Any volunteers?  We'd
all really appreciate it!

You could email me or email support@steppIR.com or phone me at 515-78-2354 or
call SteppIR at 425-391-1999.

Many thanks and 73's,