Re: [TenTec] Orion Interfacing

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Interfacing
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:54:46 -0400
Congratulations on ur new Orion, George. The furniture investment paid off.

73, Joe

George Skoubis wrote:

Hi,

 I just received my Orion Monday and have been interfacing it with my
main computer and have a question for you guys…

 I would like to hook up my PTT/CW/FSK interface (home brew with
opto’s) to the AUX I/O jack and have the rig ready for any mode.  I like
to operate RTTY using FSK and have found a small problem and was
wondering how the rest of you have solved it.

Here is how I have my connections to my interface made currently; the
PTT (Pin 3) is used for PTT in SSB and FSK modes.  I use a foot switch
so I use a Y cable to connect the foot switch to the interface PTT, the
FSK goes to pin 7, audio out (from soundcard) to pin 1, left audio out
pin 4 (to left soundcard channel), right audio out pin 6 (to right sound
card channel), and pin 2 to ground.

The only thing missing is a way to connect the CW jack from my
interface to Pin 3 when I’m in CW mode. I could use a switch and
manually select whether Pin3 connects to the CW jack on the interface or
the footswitch/PTT from interface combo.

 Does anyone else have an automatic solution or does everyone use a
switch or manually swap cables?

Thanks,

George / KF9YR