Re: [TenTec] Orion Interfacing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Interfacing
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:32:08 -0400
George,

You're welcome.

Things may have changed with WriteLog since I last upgraded, but back in the
10.22 days, CW and PTT keying were hard coded to RTS and DTR (or vice
versa). It was the only program I use that could not be configured as to
which signal line was used for which. I was using a Rascal interface built
from a kit which had to be built with either RTS or DTR (only one opto). I
modified the Rascal by adding a SPDT switch that let me select whether RTS
or DTR was used for keying. Another advantage to the switch was that I used
a center off type switch. In the off position, neither control line was
connecte to the opto. I usually leave the switch in the off position except
when I am using the interface. That way if the computer accesses the serial
port (for whatever purpose), it won't make the rig transmit. Also, as a
safety feature, if the computer would ever lock up in transmit mode, I could
manually shut off the PTT.

73,
Mark