Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI+ audio

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI+ audio
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:10:46 -0500
While the Omni VI+ has a great receiver, I find that the DSP processing,
even though the NR is not selected, leaves a slight "gritty" sound to the
audio.  This is compared to either of my Paragon's, being an original and a
II which are both analog all the way.  And yes, an external speaker does
improve the audio overall.

As to drift, I haven't measured it from cold start to 1 hr or over a
selected temperature range simply because any drift is not enough, if it
actually does, to be concerned with.  Any drift is probably less than 100 Hz
total from a cold start and occurs over the first few minutes of operation.
I suspect the BFO oscillators are the major contributor to any drift as the
main osc is a TCXO.  The older oven controlled oscillators did have to reach
operating temperature before becoming stable.  Usually less than 15 minutes.

I have had some experience with a custom crystal filter, replacing the
standard filter, to open the transmit bandpass for SSB.  On air reports
indicate that the audio is "warmer".

73
Bob, K4TAX