[TenTec] Re: [Orion] Re: [1000mp] Mark v compared to the Orion +Enhanced

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Orion] Re: [1000mp] Mark v compared to the Orion +Enhanced S/N at Narrow Filter Bandpass + Audio DSP
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:00:01 -0400
OK, Chas. I already commented to an earlier respondent with a similar opinion, but I wanted to mention a couple more things things.

I have installed all of the available roofing filters in my Orion. There was an article several years ago in QST about enhancing S/N ratio by using narrow filter selectivity and adjustment of RF gain. I had been using both of those techniques for many years, but had never heard a reasoned, technical explanation for why it works. On the other hand, I have read comments from other competent, experienced hams that have said that the article was essentially "hooey." Despite their comments, I cannot be emphatic enough when I tell you that I can bring weak CW signals strikingly out of the mud by merely cranking down on the BW control on the Orion. The effect is quite dramatic. (I should also add I can usually obtain similar performance from the MP, but it requires utilizing both narrow selectivity, RF gain adjustment and the audio DSP.)

I am also comparing the Orion NR performance against a JPS NIR-12 on the audio output. There is no doubt that the Dynamic Peak feature on the NIR-12 improves S/N and copyability even when the Orion's NR is activated. You may want to hang on to your outboard audio DSP unit, if you have one.

I'd be interested in hearing other comments on these observations.

73, Joe

Charles Fulp wrote:

My mkV is on the shelf for now... with INRAD filters...it was fine, but the
Orion rcvr is better under heavy QRM conditions.
every day use, not much difference, and the MK V may be more user friendly.
You are buying the ability to hear stuff under the heaviest of
QRM (DX pileups and contests mostly)...so far the Orion is the best thing
you can get...but you have to be real fussy for it to matter once
you get into the MP class etc.

73 Chas K3WW

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Giacobello" <k2xx@swva.net>