Re: [TenTec] price of the IC-7800

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] price of the IC-7800
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:21:12 -0500
There are those that beleive the more the cost then it must be better,

At the moment the Orion outperforms on crowded bands and weak signal reception so It remains to be seen what the ICOM will do,

But if ICOM starts putting in better DSP Code than the Orion, there could be a mass exodus to the 7800. I have yet to see where the DSP NB or NR on the Orion improves reception of a weak signal. External DSP devices and diversity reception seems to really help in that area, That is where the battle ground may be fought.

I'm waiting to see how the first users react to them. I would expect a $10K rig to at least match performance. If matching is all the ICOM can do, then the Orion is definately the champion price performer in those two catagories.

FYI half a dozen sold the first week here in Plano Texas, so it's a hot item to start with.

Those that can afford high Dollar to db ratio antenna systems can easily afford two 7800's.

73's
Rich
K5SF