RE: [TenTec] Grounding

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Grounding
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:20:43 -0700
... then go sit in a room with no windows, remove your watch, rings or any
other metal objects, and then bend over, put your head between your legs and
pray the lightning hits some Icom QTH ;-)

On the serious side, my guess is that static electricity destroys more ham
gear than lightning strikes.  I think proper grounding at the shack and then
taking normal precautions (i.e., coax switchs which ground connections not
selected, spark plugs or high ohmage resistors across open wire lead-ins,
etc.) is indeed a necessity.  And if lightning does strike, well you're
liable to lose everything regardless of what you do.

One thing I highly recommend is overvoltage protection on the AC outlets.
Of course if you dilligently unplug everything each night, or have a master
disconnect switch, then it's not sooo bad, but still, shit happens.

73
Rick