Re: [TenTec] Grounding

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Grounding
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:41:30 -1000

Most lightning damage is caused by power line surges.

My experience (which includes over 20 years of working on radio sites or observatories on mountain tops) indicates that the above is absolutely true. It is true even when the radio site is the highest mountain for miles, and has antenna towers holding antennas 60 or more feet above the summit, AND less than proper grounding and lightning protection on the antenna feedlines.

Why?....It is simply a matter of probability. The power grid covers a much larger area, and therefore has a much higher probability of getting a direct hit.

Does this mean we should not bother with lightning protection on our antenna systems, and just put the protection on the incoming power lines? Absolutely not! Just don't forget the protection on the power lines, it is very important.

DE N6KB