Re: [TenTec] How Much Damage From Reversed Polarity?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How Much Damage From Reversed Polarity?
From: doc <kd4e@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 20:10:22 -0400
My schedule (12+ hours days through Wed.) will keep
me from cracking the box to do a sight and smell
assessment of the potential damage.

I sure appreciate the helpful hints from so many and
will report back to the list what I discover later in
the week.

73, doc

Bert Braun, DD5XL wrote:
doc wrote:

In the process of momentarily relocating my Jupiter
to another room with a Windows PC (to load the updated
OS) I think I may have applied reverse voltage to the
power connector ... Arghhh!

Symptoms are no response when the power switch is
activated (the fuse is fine).

Time to pack it and ship it to TenTec? ;-(

Wait!
Let us try a more comprehensive diagnosis?
Say, can you hear the power relay clicking when you try to switch on your Jupiter?
Regarding my circuit diagram of the 538 Jupiter, there is no reverse polarized diode to protect the power input.
But the mains switch triggers a relay via a switching transistor. Only when this realy is activated, the main circuits are connected to the mains power. So you have a good chance, that you only damaged this switching circuit, not the main transceiver circuits.

73 de Bert, DD5XL