Re: [TenTec] Day Dreaming

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Day Dreaming
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 12:32:05 -0500
Yes you understood correctly, I was talking about a hardware upgrade to the Orion, Like the OMNI V to the VI+

Others were dreaming of a similar package for portable/mobile. That is something I could go for too if the performance was on par with high end radios.

If it were me, the size of the Jupiter is about right, with the performance of the Orion, and the said enhancements would be nice.

And yes, I would also like to see the threshold control on the front perhaps with a button to the multi knob right on the front screen.

73's
Rich
K5SF

OK, Rich. I may have misunderstood. I thought you were talking about hardware improvements to the Orion. I sure would like to see at least the threshold control as a knob on the front panel.

73, Joe

Richard Detweiler wrote:

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply,

On a small radio, there isn't room for many controls, On a radio with a front screen there is alot of possibilities, Open up with a keyboard directly plugged in and it gets interesting, if not so complicated it would not be usefull, I've seen several Orions go on the used market because it was just too complicated.

Most of thie time when I'm contesting or dx hunting, I'm not fiddling with the radio internals that much, Just tuning audio gain and DSP Filters. The rest is done through the PC. The pegasas was an attempt for that, but doesn't fly too well as most hams want a control that isn't delayed.

Wishing for a radio is like california dreaming, Best either build it yourself or wait for the manufactures to catch up.

73's
Rich

From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net> Reply-To: k2xx@swva.net, tentec@contesting.com To: tentec@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TenTec] Day Dreaming Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 22:56:40 -0400

OK, Rich. But where would one find the controls? Seems to me you need something to press or turn. Have I missed something? I guess you could replace functions for other hardware controls or make them dual purpose.

73, Joe

Richard Detweiler wrote:

Thanks for the comments.

My thoughts were of hardware upgrades...

The AGC on the front panel could be done under the current platform, no need to upgrade the hardware,

Many of us would like that...

73's
Rich
K5SF