Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion
From: "Steve Ellington" <N4LQ@igLou.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 19:21:29 -0000
Well I ruled out the type and quality of ground because the problem occurs
with every combination of ground I've tried. The nearest radio station is
about 15 miles away, WHAS 50kw at 840khz. I can put a diode across a pair of
32 ohm headphones and touch one lead to any ground in the house and hear
several stations. I have a littte FS meter from RadioShack. Nothing more
than a diode across a meter with a telescopic antenna. I can touch it's
antenna on any part of the rig, ground, coax shield, antenna switch etc.
with everything turned off and get a half scale reading!
None of this weirdness happens with other antennas. I had a Butternut
vertical here last year and with the loop unhooked and the Bnut connected I
got zilch.
It's as if the loop works as some kind of giant capacitor to in conjunction
with the ground system to produce a DECTOR. I say DECTOR because of the
mixing properties. I can hear at least 3 stations on those headphones!
Anyway, the cure for me is to:
1. Always use a tuner.
2. Use certain rigs with tight front ends.
3. Disconnect the station ground. Which btw is a 1" ground strap running
through the outside wall to 3 ground rods.

Steve
N4LQ