Re: [TenTec] Price/Orion Filter Board issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Price/Orion Filter Board issues
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 20:56:17 +0000
Barry, I tend to agree with you where it concerns "normal" folks who would
destroy the machinery that threatens their livelihood,  BUT - from observation,
hobbyists are by no means "normal."  And 15 grand is not really big money when
it comes to riding a hobby horse.

 Perhaps five percent of hobbyists MUST HAVE the latest and greatest of
anything as soon as it hits the market, whether that's Kathy's orchids, Jimmy's
motocross bikes, Couch Potato Margaret's $8,000 plasma TV,  Harry's $40,000
stereo wall  - or a couple of Yaesu entusiasts I know who have already arranged
a bank loan and have the money for an FTDX9000 in hand.

Another twenty percent will wait and see; and if the latest and greatest really
is the greatest will eventually jump on the bandwagon.  And yet another forty
percent will wait until the technological advances of "the latest and greatest"
trickle down to a less expensive model.  And about fifteen percent of hobbyists
will stick with the Hyundai end of the market.

Don't believe it?  Read over any of the many marketing texts on the market. I
find these ratios apply in my business as they do in almost every business.
Excluding yachts, high end sports cars, and other toys for those to whom price
is an unimportant detail.

And yes, I suspect the new JA rigs will be marketing successes, regardless of
how they perform.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E