[TenTec] v1.370 problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] v1.370 problem
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 07:20:56 -0400
NT1Y wrote:
>I can't seem to find Orion firmware v1.370 on the rfsquared.com Website.
When I click on "05/19/04 Orion Firmware Version 1.370 Available For
Download" I get the OrionUpdate.exe application, not the new .ruf file.

        Bill, Ten-Tec provides the .ruf file as a part of the total .exe
update after it auto-installs.  This is in order to give you updated
information files like 565Hist.txt, Whats New in 1.370.pdf, etc.  When
you install OrionUpdate.exe, all of these as well as the new .ruf file
will appear in your directory, and older versions (e.g. 565Hist.txt)
will be overwritten with the updated version.  Contrary to what someone
said, previous .ruf files are NOT overwritten, so you should retain
previous .ruf revisions unless you manually chose to delete them.

>What am I doing wrong?  I've downloaded Orion updates many times before
without trouble, did something change on rfsquared.com?

        I don't think so.  Beta testers can download only the .ruf files
but I don't think Ten-Tec has ever allowed that on the public website,
otherwise you would never get your 565Hist.txt file updated each time.

73, Bill W4ZV

P.S.  W4BQF has it right about QSK and needing to set Rise/Fall to 5 ms
or less for CW speeds above 40 WPM.  This should have been included in
the .pdf info file above, but it is fairly obvious since the "Max 40 WPM
External Keying" warning at the bottom of the CW Menu disappears when
Rise/Fall is set below 6 ms.  This is because you need harder keying at
high CW speeds (i.e. very slow Rise/Fall times would not allow fast CW
dits to to reach full amplitude).