Re: [TenTec] Info on the Argonaut 515?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Info on the Argonaut 515?
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 10:55:15 -0700
As I recall, Tim, the 515 was not cheap (compared to other rigs people wanted at that time). The 515 has a solid receiver, same basic design as the Triton IV, probably some improvement over the 509 (though I used both and enjoyed them equally). I believe demand was not there for the 515.

The only thing I always do to a 515 that comes across my bench is to put a second 4 pole filter in line for the receiver (giving a total of 8 poles filtering). This allows the nice transmit audio to continue, and I find that it vastly reduces the blowby I usually experience with nearby strong signals. I always suspected this to be a physical coupling problem, because when I stick in the 4 pole filter at a slightly different spot in the IF chain (down towards the RX), it completely disappears.

All in all, the 515 is a very fine radio. Anyone have a spare for sale, now I want mine back.

Clark
WA3JPG