[TenTec] Orion AGC setting for QRN

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion AGC setting for QRN
From: "Steve Ellington" <N4LQ@igLou.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 02:55:09 -0000
I just built the little Elecraft signal generator and ran some test during
high QRN levels. Using a coax splitter, I fed the generator and the antenna
together into the Orion. The signal was very weak which was perfect for my
test. I tried various combinations of fast, med and slow setting and no
matter what, when a burst of QRN hit, the cw carrier was totally blipped
out. I then went into the prog setting and cranked the decay to maximum.
This did wonders! No more blipped out CW! So.....For best cw recption in
QRN, use AGC prog mode, set decay for max. Do not even think about adding
any hang time! Threshold level didn't seem to matter.

Interestingly, running the same test on the IC-756PROII revealed no cw
blipping at any agc setting.

Steve
N4LQ