[TenTec] RE:INRAD Omni6+ mod

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RE:INRAD Omni6+ mod
From: KD7EFQ@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:57:22 -0400
Hello, The Omni 6+ design was primarily for optimum dynamic range / rejection
properties. I was told by Ten Tec that they designed it with good
communications grade audio response, but the QST review shows that the audio
passband is rather restricted for SSB operation compared to its competitors.
the FT 1000mp audio range was somewhere around 2200hz where the Omni 6+ stock
was only around 1600 hz.

 George at INRAD changes some audio passband capacitors and a resistor in the
notch filter circuit, along with recommending the wider 2.8 IF filters for
better SSB audio fidelity. I have done this mod and found it satisfactory,
however, for SSB ragchew audio fidelity, I've found that my Brand K TS-570 does
better audiowise on SSB, and it is stock.

 You just have to decide which is more important to you. If you're primarily a
CW op, I wouldn't bother with it. If SSB ragchewing that is pleasant and
comfortable to listen to is your bag, you might try it, (or another radio, say
a Jupiter) but I've found the difference not to be as "Dramatic" as I was
expecting. 73. Todd