[TenTec] QSK vs 1.370

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] QSK vs 1.370
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 21:13:27 -0400
de N4LQ:

WIsh I could have figured out what happened to my QSK with 1.370. The
sidetone sounded beautiful but QSK became semi-bk in with maybe a .25 sec
delay which is certainly not QSK. I redownload, reinstalled, rebooted
several times all with the same result. Yet some of you guys say the QSK is
still great. Now either we have different concepts of what QSK is or
something went wrong with my hardware. Anyway, I sent it back. I guess
someone else will end up with it. Hopefully someone who doesn't care for
QSK.

So what _is_ "QSK" anyway? With 1.370 and the internal keyer, I did a little test. Set sidetone to zero and sent (tx disabled!) a steady stream of dashes or dots. Above about 20 wpm, the T/R switch never drops and you hear nothing off the air. As you go below 20 wpm, you do hear a little between dots or dashes. [That's a lot less than .25 sec, by the way.]

What we have now is a little Rx between characters and more between words. Is that QSK? I suppose to purists, you should get Rx any time there is no RF out, i.e., between elements.

Actually, I like it this way, since there's less pulsing in my headset while sending.

-Martin