[TenTec] Cool Orion

To: "ten-tec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Cool Orion
From: <emoss98133@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 08:53:33 -0700
I have been having a display problem also, screen flickers and gets dark
also after the rig has been on for a while.  what I did that really helped
was that I got a piece of aluminum the same size as the top of the orion.
then I mounted 2 rad-shack 4 x 4 muffin fans and put some foam weather
striping (5/8 X 1/2)  around the bottom edge. the whole assembly sits on top
of the orion and the foam does not leave any marks. the fans are 12v but I
run them on a 6 volt wall wart,  the fans are quite and still move a lot of
air.  the fans are mounted side by side by the front of the orion just above
the display.  the fans suck air through the orion from the bottom and out
the top.
the problem seams to be that the main CPU is on a circuit board right behind
the display and is transferring heat to it. touching the CPU when the orion
has been on for a while the CPU is quite warm to the feel.  it really needs
a heat sink and spaced further away from the display  imho
Ed K7WIA