Re: [TenTec] Tranceiving accurately

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tranceiving accurately
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 11:25:27 -0400
K4TAX wrote:
>Does anyone have a good method to confirm that a transceiver is indeed
transceiving accurately?  I've come to a conclusion that one of mine is
actually shifting frequency some 20 to 30 Hz between receive and transmit.
As to why, I haven't found a clue.

        I agree with Dave's suggestion that an external receiver is the best
way, once you know you have a problem.  I had this problem in a FT-1000MP
that I had for 6 years.  The way I discovered it was simply noticing that
packet spots for DX-peditions were consistently higher than I was reading.
For example, a station spotted on 1827.0 would actually be zero beat with
my Spot pitch at 1826.930 (i.e. consistently 70 Hz lower).  I then checked
WWV expecting to see it show the same offset at 9.930, but strangely, it
was always spot-on.   I then verified the transceive offset using a second
receiver, but I was never able to figure out exactly what was going on.  I
just mentally adjusted for the fact that my RX was reading 70 Hz low on CW.
I finally decided to set the MP's RIT to +70 Hz rather than trying to chase
down where the exact problem was.  I only saw this problem in CW and not
SSB.  There was probably a simple adjustment in one of the IF offset menus
that would have cleared my problem but I decided it wasn't worth the effort
to dig into the schematics.

73, Bill W4ZV