Re: [TenTec] transceiver test

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] transceiver test
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:08:53 -0500
The typical SSB bandpass system is only about 2.4 KHz wide no matter what
one does to it or tries to cram through it.  The biggest problem I've
observed with many stations seem to be related to poor room acoustics and a
high level of background noise from amps, air conditioner fans and often the
TV in the next room .  A great sounding radio, with a good mike in a highly
reverberant or noisy room will sound bad no matter how much EQ and
processing is added.  Not to mention poor microphone technique.  In many
cases, EQ and external processing makes it worse.   I just wonder if anyone
has really done any RT60 measurements on their operating position.  I've
heard some stations that sound as though the operator has a hot potato in
their mouth and are too proud to spit it out.  Yep, must have good band
conditions just to copy the mush.

Many do not realize that EQ is not a fix, it's an enhancement.  It's easy to
be loud, it's difficult and expensive to be good.

73
Bob, K4TAX