Re: [TenTec] Question for Contesters:

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Question for Contesters:
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:01:52 +0000
Indeed, Bill, we do need to go back to the original question - because the
answers have gotten over the fence and into the bottomless swamp.  It's been a
while since I stuck my nose in Webster's but when I did I learned the
following....

Software, defined as,  among other things,  the operating system of a computer
or other digital device.

Radio, defined as 1.) A way to send and receive words, music and other sounds
by electric waves without wires: and 2.) A device for receiveing and making it
possible to hear sounds so sent.  Definition 2 makes it clear a radio is a
physical device - hardware if you will.

Defined;  as in the previous paragraphs, is to make clear the meaning of, to
explain; to fix the meaning of; to settle the description of.  Establish and
specify are synonyms for  defined.

Now a "software defined radio" would obviously be a radio whose meaning is
fixed or explained by a digital operating system.   To quote Mr. Spock, that
does not compute. At least not in standard English.

A software controlled radio would be a radio that uses a digital operating
system, like most digitally controlled radios on the market. And I accept the
quibble that SCR is a common acronym.

A software established radio comes closer to the generally accepted meaning of
SDR since the software fixes the operating parameters of the hardware.

And the difference between a digitally controlled radio and a conventional
radio to contesters would depend on two things.

The first is how inherently well the hardware part of the digital radio
compares with the conventional radio it is stacked up against.   No matter how
excellent the software the ultimate level of performance of the radio depends
on the performance of the hardware.  A rotten radio with wonderful software
would still be a rotten radio.

The second is how close to optimum the software sets the radios operating
point.  Software that sets up optimum performance from the hardware will be a
very substantial advantage to the contester, while software that fails to take
advantage of the hardware will be a loser. A wonderful radio with rotten
software is still a loser.

Now - that's my two eighths of a real on the subject, so y'all argue it out
amongst yourself.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

--
Never squat with your spurs on