Re: [TenTec] It just depends...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] It just depends...
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <mike_n4nt@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:38:12 -0400
Why do I use Ten-Tec rigs?  Long story. . .

In 1961 as a kid of 16 I built a Heathkit Apache transmitter and Mohawk
receiver.  For antenna switching I could choose between a Dow-Key relay for
$11.95 or a Dow-Key electronic T-R switch for $9.95.  I got the cheaper,
built a little power supply for it in a cigar box and operated my fine new
station - always flipping the Transmit toggle switch on the Apache to
transmit.  I was very careful to keep the Receiver's mute switch on the
position that would mute it when the transmitter was put into XMIT.

Once I had the receiver's mute switch in the wrong position and transmitted
by accident.  I learned that my own signal was about S-7 in my own receiver
if I turned off the AVC.  For several years I had a most excellent QSK
setup.  Then came some time in the US Army which took me to Africa.  There I
got to operate Heath twins (SB-301/401 type), Drake Twins (A and B lines)
and a Heath SB-100.  None of these rigs was configured to be QSK.  I bought
a Heath HW-100 for myself.

On returning to the US, I used my HW-100 (now modified with hardware for a
HW-101 to switch in a CW crystal filter) and then upgraded to a Heath
SB-102.  QSK was still a distant memory for me.  When Yaesu came out with
their FT-757GX, it seemed the answer to my prayers.  It had QSK, built-in CW
filter, built-in keyer, general coverage receive, digital readout -- I mean
it had everything a man could want so I bought one.

What I learned was this:
  A - their built-in keyer strained to reach 25 wpm.
  B - their QSK chopped off at least half of each dot's length.
  C - the synthesizer hash modulated the received CW note, giving me bad
muscle tension and headaches.
  D - the receiver was not as good (sensitive or selective) as my SB-102.
  E - the FT-757 was heavy enough to hurt my foot when I drop-kicked it out
the shack window.

I ran into Edith WA4SRD, an old friend, at the Asheville hamfest and was
relating my experiences.  She said she used a Ten-Tec rig and it had fine
QSK.  Hers was a Triton IV.  She helped me find one at the fest and I bought
it.

The joy I felt for operating that I had lost when I left my Apache/Mohawk
setup was back.  The rig performed flawlessly in QSK, its receiver was
better than my SB-102 and its audio was so quiet and smooth that it was a
real pleasure to hear -- no more muscle tension and headaches.

Over the years I've also acquired an Omni-C, an Argosy II, a Corsair II and
two 580 Delta rigs.  Any one of them is more than adequate for me but I
cannot choose which one to shed myself of any more than I could choose which
of my children to give up.

I have needed service on rigs from time to time, usually when I get a new
(to me) rig.  Garland Jenkins at Ten-Tec has never failed to help me.  He
seems to have a sixth sense about the rigs he services and can intuit a
problem on the phone in seconds.  A few times I've taken or sent a rig for
repair -- Ten-Tec service has always been fast and reasonable.  Most of all,
everyone I've dealt with down in Sevierville has been really nice to me.

I'm sold on Ten-Tec because a Dow-Key T-R switch cost $2 less than a Dow-Key
relay.

I don't apologize for being long winded because the above isn't a tenth of
what I could say.

Mike -N4NT-