Re: [TenTec] Orion Finished?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Finished?
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:32:44 -0400
I understand what your thinking. But I don't think RFI issues would show up
only when you install a firmware update?

I also  do not think (could be wrong however) I have a ground loop problem.
I have buried three, triangled 8' copper rods just outside my shack window,
connected together and to the utility power ground system with a #2 solid
copper wire. I bring this ground system into the shack, again with a #2
solid copper wire directly to a 1/4 inch thick, 5' long copper bar attached
to the back of my operating desk. My Astron R75 pwr supply, the Orion, the
Titan 3, my KW Matchbox, and my computer are all commonly grounded to the
same copper buss bar. I have a Polyphaser surge protector, screwed into the
buss bar,  in the coax run between my Titan 3 and my Johnson KW Matchbox. I
have a 600' run of home made 4" spaced open wire feeders connecting my
Matchbox to my 80m dipole. I use 1" wide, 3/16th " thick copper strap
connecting the Matchbox and the Titan 3 and the Orion grounding points to
the buss bar; I use a 1" wide copper braid to connect my  PC chassis  to the
buss bar. So far, I have no evidence of an RFI problem.

If by a 'line isolator' you mean a current balun, the answer is h*** no, I
would never have a balun of any type in any antenna other than a yagi. (and
no, please let's not start a thread on the 'merit' of baluns..please let's
NOT!)

I'm sorry, but I can't answer the question ' where is your RF ground ?'

Would certainly appreciate any inputs on how I could improve this grounding
system.

Tom - W4BQF