Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ classic

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ classic
From: SS409SS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:56:19 -0400
   For lack of a better example, I can say this.. As a young and silly ham I
hadnt a clue what a good radio was.. I was more interested in bells and
whistles and not what TT had to offer in the way of RX performance. I had the
opportunity to bring my TS-850 back then to the home of a friend with an Omni V
and compare the two..

  Holy $%it, it sounded like I was mixing cement with my 850 when compared to
the rx on the Omni V. I was sold!! I then went and bought my first TT, it was
an Omni VI which just came out a few months before and at first I thought it
was broken, I didnt hear anything thru the speaker and immediately became
concerned that I made a bad decision. Being used to the "cement mixer" I once
had, I soon found out that I had to actually turn the VFO on the VI to get it
to pick up stations on the band, anything else would yield pure silence.
    When I first picked up a station, I practically jumped from my chair as the
radio came alive and blared full blast with a freshly tuned QSO on 20m. Since
then its difficult to listen to other radios with noisy rx's. I become annoyed
and fatigued easily as the TT rx has spoiled me and "tuned" my brain to listen
a certain way. Anyone who owns an OMNI V,VI or Corsair series knows what I
speak of.  There are a few radios (ie. FT1000)which match the rx quality of the
TT but most others cant hold a candle to it.

 The one thing I did find out  was that I liked the VI better than the VI+. I
found that my VI was much quieter as it lacked the generated internal noise
from the added DSP unit and some cpu chirps from the logic board when pressing
keys on the + model. May have been just my VI+ but your perception becomes that
good when making the swith from one TT to another..

  I will never buy one of those high end Icoms or Yaesu's, there is simply no
need to spend 10-15k on a radio when the performance of a TT is available to
you for 1/3 the price. In fact one can make due with a used Omni series and
enjoy the same if not better rx quality the newer radios boast about in their
ads.. I am not much of a contester, but I appreciate a good quality radio that
performs well on the bands... TT fits the bill.. Richy N2ZD