[TenTec] About Lou's "New" 262G Supply...

To: <n3od@enter.net>
Subject: [TenTec] About Lou's "New" 262G Supply...
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <mike_n4nt@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:38:06 -0400
Hi, Lou--

I'm writing not about the scam but to tell you of problems with the 262G
power supply.

As I recall, plugging the microphone into the supply could introduce hum
into the audio circuit.  I don't remember the fix for this but I fixed it.

The VOX unit in the 262G is not properly designed to work in an RF
environment and thus it is susceptible to interference from your rig and
will often not work properly.  I had some correspondence with Ten-Tec
service about this years ago and they sent me a sheet of modifications to
try.  I never could get it to perform to suit me and they couldn't, either.
It didn't matter much to me because I operate only CW but I like stuff to
work right.

There is a much bigger problem with the 262G supply itself.  Originally it
had no crowbar circuitry.  This means that if the pass transistor in the
unit fails in a shorted mode, the supply will feed about 25 volts into your
rig.  Ten-Tec sold what they called their OVP (Over-Voltage Protection)
circuit to remedy this danger but they no longer have that part available.
It was a simple unit, employing a zener diode, an SCR and a fuse.  It
mounted inside the back panel of the supply and was electrically connected
by cutting the large red output wire and connecting the two created ends to
terminations on the little OVP board.  If it detected an over-voltage
condition, the zener fired the SCR and shorted the output to ground, blowing
the fuse on the OVP board and protecting the rig.  You have been warned.

Otherwise, it is a really good supply.  Mine has lasted many years.  Its
speaker sounds great to my ears and it runs the rig nicely.  The OVP has
never been called into service.

73 and Good Luck,
Mike  -N4NT-