Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Net

To: "Elek, Jr., Stephen" <selekjr2@comcast.net>,tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Net
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:01:44 -1000

   Thanks to the "media" for using non legal time zone designators.
   This is why amateurs use (Z)ulu or GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
   I applaud TenTec for using Z times only

Once upon a time the ARRL used Z, GMT or UTC for the W1AW schedule. Part of learning to be a radio operator was learning about time zones and knowing the conversion for you own local time to/from GMT, so that you could speak the same (time) language as radio operators all over the world. This is now too difficult for the ARRL, I have been told. So now they have the W1AW schedule listed for all of the time zones in North America, and just can't find the space to list the UTC times, or the brain power to keep it right throughout the year as W1AW's schedule remains constant for places that use daylight slavings time. I guess they expect the ionosphere to comply with daylight slavings too.

DE N6KB, not in North America