Re: [TenTec] Re: Heil ProSet on Orion - reprise - almost solved

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Heil ProSet on Orion - reprise - almost solved
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:26:40 -0500
Well, after all the guessing and "checking with experts" on the problem
I've been having with my Heil ProSet, the adapter, and the Orion, I think
I've found the problem.  It appears one of the two wires to the
microphone in the headset has opened up.  This explains the continuous
hum (probably the ground side, but could be either, I'm thinking.)  What
finally made it obvious was that in doing some "adjusting" and wiggling
of the cables / microphone it suddenly cleared up momentarily, and then
lapsed back into "hum" mode.  So, while the PTT to ground may still be a
good solution to an RFI problem, it's not the answer here.  (Paul's right
again!)  That's the good news.  The bad news is I've played with it so
much trying to localize it (is it in the cable, the headset, etc.) that
now it's almost working flawlessly, which means it's going to be all the
more difficult to isolate.

Just for grins, the Pin 2 to ground measurement on my Orion (Feb '04
manufacture) is 12.3 Ohms.  Not a dead short as some have read on theirs.
 When I get my INRAD 600 Hz filter built and ready to install, I'll open
it up and see what I can see on the wiring.

Thanks for the many suggestions here.  Getting started down the wrong
tracks of RFI and then the adapter wiring for PTT threw me off.  Should
teach me to just start at the beginning and peel the onion - standard
debugging technique.  OK, off to the Heil site to see if I can find the
ProSet repair information.  Thanks for all who contributed suggestions.
That's what this reflector is good at.

        73,  Duane   (some of us are Olympic conclusion jumpers too!)