[TenTec] 500 HZ Roofing Filter Attenuation-Orion

To: "Ten Tec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 500 HZ Roofing Filter Attenuation-Orion
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:23:35 -0400
I have noticed that on 20 mtrs  with all the roofing filters turned on to AUTO,
that there is considerable attenuation of receiver audio when the bandiwdth
hits the 370 HZ level.  Of course I am down in the cw portion of the band. It
doesn't seem to bother loud signals but does indeed surpress weak signal
reception when the bandwidth is anywhere between 370 HZ down to 200HZ.  At 190
Hz the audio comes back up because then the 250 HZ filter kicks in.  I can turn
the 500 HZ filter off and the audio is normal strength level. Does anyone else
notice this or does this sound like a bad 500HZ  roofing filter?   One other
thing, I don't seem to notice it on the low bands, but 20 mtrs and above it is
most noticeable.  I noticed in the QST review of the Orion the reviewer noted a
somewhat  similar observation with the 500 HZ filter.  Toby W4CAK