Re: [TenTec] DSP in CW transmit?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DSP in CW transmit?
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:48:42 -0400
>From what little I know, DSP has a lot to do with transmitting a signal. In
the Orion, I think it is used to adjust the Tr/Tf of the transmitted wave
form. TT also, starting with the Omni 6,  uses the DSP to generate the
sidetone, and evidentially that takes time, thus the rig is not able to run
full QSK at the faster speeds because it has to QRX for the DSP to do it's
thing. The more DSP or digital crap you put into a radio design, the more
bells and whistles you can sell...all at the expense of performance. And the
manufacturer is caught up in the rat race....I'm  sure you recall all the
complaining about a non-color screen...can you imagine the grief TT would
have taken if they didn't have DSP? You would have thought the end of the
world was here.

Do you recall the very raspy square wave sidetone generated in the Corsair?
Well, it's gone, and the trade off was slower QSK. Guess they didn't know
how to build a simple sine wave generator? Or was  it cheaper to just use
DSP and let CW performance drop?

Tom - W4BQF