Re: [TenTec] Inrad 762

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad 762
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:53:12 EDT
Toby

My 762 arrived yesterday so I haven't had a chance to play with it but  the
theory is:

1.  The 1khz filter doesn't kick in until the DSP is below 750hz  anyway
(when the XTAL Filter Menu is set to AUTO) so it useless down to 750 as  it
doesn't "do anything" until you get there.

2.  The 500hz filter has a pre-amp to make up for its insertion loss  and
that pre-amp has caused some IMD problems.  The insertion loss of the  600hz
INRAD filter is not enough to need a pre-amp.  I suspect this is  because the
INRAD is a 4 pole filter and the TenTec is 6 pole.

So by inserting the 600hz into the 1khz slot, you avoid the IMD problem and
don't lose anything in the process.

I am sure others on the list will offer far more technical reasons but that
is what my simple mind has distilled from the previous  discussions.

Radio  k4ia
"Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia  USA