[TenTec] Orion, week three (Amplifier and QSK issues)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion, week three (Amplifier and QSK issues)
From: Dave Clark <w8do@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:40:49 -0700 (PDT)
Week three of having the Orion AT and it was time to see if RFI would be a
problem.

Hook up to the Ten Tec Titan 425 took two minutes, including wraping the contol
lines around three 1 1/4" torioid cores.  Enabling the Amp. lines in the Orion
and gradually bringing the amp up to 1KW output.

Following threads on this reflector, regarding ALC and shutdown difficulites, I
was fearing a long battle with RFI.  I didn't want to damage the new pair of
tubes in my Titan (1985 model).  No problems with either RFI, spikes etc.
Actually the process seemed easier than with the Omni VI Plus.

First tests were on twenty meter c.w. at speeds from 25 to 40 WPM.  No clicks
and perfectly working QSK!  About a dozen contacts and I moved to 17, 15, 12
and 10.   17 and 15 meter contacts confirmed that the Orion would stay working
in close proximity to the Titan linear.  QSK, by the way, function perfectly.
I don't run high speed keyboard c.w. so I'm can't speak for higher speeds.

Only one complaint, in three weeks of owning the Orion AT.  It doesn't seem
able to open dead bands!  It does however, hear people better than they can
hear you.  The Orion, Titan and TH-11 make an Awsome combination.

This rig is going to stay in the shack!  New photos on www.nancyanddave.com