Re: (Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Studio One Mic

To: nq5t@comcast.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Studio One Mic
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:50:44 -0400
I am using about the roll off on the low side as Grant. Otherwise I sound like Vaughan Monroe on SSB.

73, Joe

Grant Youngman wrote:

I am using my S1 mic on a Jupiter and Argonaut V and have received
reports, which I confirmed with a local receiver while transmitting
into a dummy load, that the audio is void of any high frequencies.
Both rig's sound great with either the Heil boom mic or the TT705.
Has anyone out in radio land experienced a similar problem with
their S1?

The Studio One has a wide range frequency response. It has a lot of low end (more that the typical ham mic, and certainly more than a Heil HC-5, etc. cartridge).

It may be that you have enough low end that the overall audio response is just out of balance, so it just sounds bassy at the other
end. I don't know if the Jup or Argo have any sort of internal EQ
function, but if so you might just try tilting the response toward the
high frequency side. Of course, you could also do that with an
outboard EQ (IHY, etc.).

On my Orion, with the Studio One or any other wide range microphone for that matter, I find I have to set the radio's EQ at
around -10 to -14 (which is a good tilt to the high frequency side) to get good balanced audio with my voice.

Grant/NQ5T