Re: [TenTec] Studio One Mic

To: jsb@digistar.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Studio One Mic
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:19:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 jsb@digistar.com wrote:

> The TX audio offset (near the very bottom of the MNU list) should be set
> at around 400 or 500Hz with the Studio One on a Jupiter.
> Experimentation is required for the best audio to match your particular
> voice AND because of proximity effect being a half inch or 3 inches from
> the microphone.

Something I forgot to mention...

As you increase the TX offset you also increase the top end limit in
frequency response being transmitted.  So in the above example of raising
the TX audio offset to 500Hz your SSB audio would increase 500Hz as well.

If you had a 3000Hz wide SSB signal (TX audio bandwidth setting), with the
TX audio offset at 0Hz your audio would be transmitted from 0 to 3000Hz in
frequency, but with the TX audio offset at 500Hz the audio spectrum going
over the wire would be 500Hz to 3500Hz.

The window is just as wide, you're just moving the start and end points of
the width to the right.

My experience with the Studio One on the Jupiter, for my voice, was that
500Hz offset with 2.7KHz bandwidth and 35% speech processing was ok.
This changes as you increase the distance between your mouth and the
microphone because your voice becomes very bassy when very close to the
microphone.

73 Jason N1SU