[TenTec] "Accordion" sound?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] "Accordion" sound?
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:11:15 -1000
Hi all,

I just got done reading the August QST reveiw of the IC-7800. Bob Heil says "The receiver was very sensitive and yet with all the filter selections, you can narrow it down and it doesn't sound like and accordion". I have only owned perhaps a dozen rigs, and have never heard anything out of them that resembled an accordian sound, except when there was accordian music in the radio program. I have been able to get some pretty strange sounds out of my JPS NIR-12 DSP by overdriving it, but I have still never got an accordian sound. One of the things I have fun doing with radios, aside from actually using them for communciations, is playing with the knobs to get weird sounds out of them. I started with a Hammarlund Super-Pro BC-779 back in the sixties and by tuning to various kinds of multiplexed data signals, was able to get some pretty far out sounds. Still I have not acheived anything that reminded me of an accordion sound. Can anyone recommend a method to get an accordion sound out of my rig? The most easily available rigs I have are Ten-Tec Omni VI and Paragon (with all filters down to 250 Hz), and I still have a BC-779. If necessary I could also try with a Kenwood TS-440 or a Halicrafters Sky Buddy.

Thanks,

Ken N6KB