[TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion No Receive

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion No Receive
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:24:15 -0500
> I hope that in a future software revision, they will do something to
> make the NR setting a little less critical.

I'm not quite sure what "less critical" means in this sense.

The NR setting does not affect the amount of NR, just the speed at
which the NR adapts (how quickly filter parameters are changed).
Higher settings of the control cause the NR to adapt faster, lower
slower.  I'm not sure that having fractional increments is going to get
you anything.

If you set it on 1 (or 2) the adaptation is slow.  Once it adapts to a
particular signal, it will be (relatively) slow to adjust.

At a high setting, the adaptation is fast (at least relatively).  So as
you tune around, the NR filters will change more quickly to match
the received signals.  Adaptation is still not instantaneous. And the
amount of NR, once adapted, is independent of NR setting.

The  I've always found it much better to turn NR off while tuning,
and then turn it on if it's needed once I've found a signal of interest.

YMMV

Grant/NQ5T