Re: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion

To: <eric.sensi@skynet.be>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 05:18:05 -0000
Eric

I don't use the sweep display but I have checked the phenomena you describe
below and can confirm this occurs with my Orions too.  I suggest you send a
report to ditsnbits about it so it can be investigated at Ten Tec.

Regarding your experience with AGC behaviour in high QRN conditions, I have
not experienced that here.  The S-meter is certainly linked to the agc
system but isn't that true of the majority of radios?  Orion's agc seems to
perform very well under high QRN conditions.

Good luck.

Bob, 5B4AGN

> 1. Sweep display :
> ------------------
>
> - Sweep display activated and working, I mean moving (for Main receiver
> only);
> - On the SUB receiver, engage either the NR or AN function and the sweep
is
> completely frozen (no movements at all !);
> - Remove the NR or AN function and the sweep display is dancing again !
>
> Is this a normal behavior or not ?
>
> 2. Meter and AGC :
>
> It seems that the meter needle is electronically controled by the AGC
> system... well, in the case of a static discharge at the antenna, a "POP"
is
> heard thru the speaker, the needle is peaking at +20dB or +40dB and the
AGC