Re: [TenTec] Orion reflector discussions

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion reflector discussions
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:47:45 -0400
Hi Rick,

OK...I'll bite on a few of your comments.

VE7TK wrote:
>Sure there are still a lot of warts but not that many that concern me on the
software side.  The hardware issues, in particular, the display darkening
due to a heat issue, still concern me.  I notice, however, that there has
not been too much on the issue recently.  Does this mean everyone has
removed the speaker(?) and put in a fan?  I doubt it.  But I haven't seen
anything indicating that the factory has changed the rig to provide better
cooling.  Is it still an issue?  Are all owners noticing a problem?  Is the
factory looking into it?  The reflector has been strangely quiet.

I've never commented on it simply because I've never seen that problem.
I've had my unit on continuously for >15 hours at a time in several major
contests (CQ WW SSB, CQ WW CW and CQ 160 CW) but I've simply never seen it.
Of course that does not mean it does not exist on others' units. I also do
not use the optional fan, because my amp only needs about 50 watts for legal
output and I felt the fan was unnecessary.

>From my viewpoint the software improvements made to the Orion have been
remarkable.  And, for the most part, they've been well received by users. I
think (again I must add that I've never used an Orion and my opinion is
derived from discussions on this reflector) the software is fast approaching
my operating needs. That coupled with a stronger Canadian dollar suggests
that perhaps an Orion is getting closer to reality at my QTH.

        I agree about the firmware.  When you think about the improvements
over the past year, the list is fairly long...

*improved "digital" tuning (remember that?),
*extended lower limit of Spot Pitch from 300 Hz to 100 Hz (BIG deal to me),
*improved Voice Keyer,
*improved CW signal purity (VERY significant improvements),
*addition of PTT for CW (where's Yuri when we need him?),
*several S-Meter improvements,
*much more stable firmware and fewer crashes (my last was January 31),
*addition of RIT/XIT to 302R Pod (the only way I use RIT in contests),
*several serial interface improvements,
*etc (many more depending on your particular interest)...and there are
certainly more to come (e.g QSK improvements soon).

>In all my years of hamming I have NEVER owned a brand new fresh from the
factory HF rig.  If improvements to the Orion continue it's quite likely
that the Orion will be my first.  Hopefully the unfortunate experience of
Eric (ON6CV) won't be repeated with my rig if I take the plunge.

        I have purchased several new rigs (TS-820S, TS-830S, TS-930S and
FT-1000MP) but ALWAYS followed the rule "NEVER buy any new electronic
product for at least 1 year after introduction".  Orion was my first
violation of this but I felt it was a good gamble because of:

1.  Online firmware upgrade capability.
2.  Ten-Tec's excellent reputation for service.
3.  Ten-Tec's relatively local location (about a 5 hour drive from me).
4.  Purchase was via a Platinum Visa which automatically extends the
standard 1 year warranty to 2 years.

        Are there warts with Orion?  Certainly.  Are they show-stoppers
for me?  Absolutely not.  I would FAR rather have Orion's front-end,
even with the original firmware, than NOT have it for what I most like
to do (contesting and low band DX-ing).  Quite frankly, I feel Ten-Tec
has made tremendous progress over the past year I've had my unit and
I'm happy I've even had some small input into some of the improvements.

>Finally, the reflector is certainly helping me with my research.  Yes the
postings at times have been boring and the flames/cult issues don't add
anything to the discussion.  MOST of the discussion has been constructive -
not always positive but at least constructive.  It's unfortunate that many
shoot from the lip without contributing much to the database - a little more
thought and perhaps a little less coffee before hitting the SEND key might
help in their case. But as others have suggested there still is a DELETE key
on the keyboard.

Over time you will learn who has constructive things to say and who likes
to hear themselves gripe. I can almost tell you the value of what any given
person will say before I know anything but their identity. As I'm sure you
know, this applies to many areas of life. We are all humans and some of us
always see the glass as half empty rather than half full.

73, Bill W4ZV