Re: [TenTec] rcvr/no audio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] rcvr/no audio
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:22:11 -0400
OK Bernard....'sell your radio' is often suggested, but it does not solve
the problem(s).

I have never said I do not like the Orion, as it is a good radio. The 'some
day it will work' is getting to be a stretch after 18 months of ownership. I
was pretty much spoiled in 1992 when I purchased an Omni 6 and Titan 425
amplifier that has numerous thousands of hours of extremely satisfactory
performance under the conditions that I operate a ham station. That is
running QRO chasing DX, running in about every CW contest I have time to
enter, plain ole rag chewing at normal CW speeds, and plain ole rag chewing
at high CW speeds, and dabbling in each of the new digital modes as time
permits.  'Satisfactory performance' really does not do justice to that set
up because over those years I purchased both Yaesu and Icom rigs and did A/B
testing, with the intention of keeping the radio that best suited me. I
still have my Omni 6 and Titan 425! I also have had more fun and enjoyment
with that set up than any other combination of setup's I've ever had in my
53 years of operating CW.

And that is why when Ten Tec announced the Orion and the Titan 3 amplifier,
I had absolutely no qualms about purchasing these new products. I also
expected these new products to perform equally satisfactory to what I
previously purchased. And they DO, with the exception of the firmware.

During the 18 months of Orion ownership, I have had only one hardware
failure, which is darned good for a new production unit. The rest of the
problems I have had are both solved and generated by the firmware.

Tom - W4BQF