[TenTec] Why N1MM does not support the Tentec file interface

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Why N1MM does not support the Tentec file interface
From: Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:38:37 -0700 (PDT)
Tom,

The file interface as I understand it is a way to get
N1MM to run through the N4PY software and control the
Orion.  There is another interface called the N4PY
interface that could be used as well, and it may
reduce the testing requirement.

I have found if I use the N4PY software, I have had
unconditional stability in the Orion.  I can use the
N4PY generated band scope without any problem for
example.  You can program the buttons on the POD for
specific functions that you can not do with the POD on
the standard Orion, such as turning on and off dual
receive combined with the up X macro for pileups.  The
IF control is immediately available as are all the
bandwidth and receiver tweaks without resorting to
menu's.  In addition I think offloading some of the
processing to a second processor on the computer that
interfaces with the Orion enhances the stability of
the system.

At some point I would hope Carl could add a macro
feature to his program.  This would allow you to make
custom parametric menus of radio's control.  For
example selecting antennas, amplifiers, drive levels,
and optimizing IF/RF and other settings etc. across
bands.  None of this functionality would be accessible
if N1MM does not feed through N4PY.

I have done a little experimenting with this using a
USB based controller that allows keyboard macro's to
be developed and execute multiple functions from a
single key press.  In addition I have used the N4PY
software over a network using Windows Remote Desktop a
program called Skype to handle the audio chores.  This
would allow you to remote a transceiver/receiver to
some distant location allowing you to spot on the same
band as you are running.  It is my understanding if
the program knows where the file interface is located
i.e. what folder the program can connect through it.
Contesting from work or from the beach house anyone?

Another example would be if you switched to 15 from 80
and you have your 8877 amp on 80 and your 3-500 amp on
15 you may want to switch the antenna coax from a
dipole to a beam, switch the IF/RF settings optimized
for 15, the drive level optimized for the 3-500 amp,
you may switch the amp control line to key the 3-500
amp instead of the 8877, etc.  All this is potentially
do-able using an expansion of the N4PY interface.  The
coup de grace would be that N1MM would run its
excellent contesting interface through N4PY thereby
combining the functionality of two excellent programs.

This is somewhat esoteric and a bit vaporwarish at
this time, but in the world of contesting wins are
made by developing an edge, and the edge of
co-operative control of the transceiver between
programs instead of a one single program demanding
full and complete undivided control may prove to be
quite useful.  You asked to understand what would be
the added functionality of combining the two programs,
I suggest you now sit in front of your Orion for a few
minutes and consider the possibilities.  Given your
obvious insight it won't take you very long to see
what I am getting at.

Certainly what I propose would take considerable
development, and you and/or Carl may not be interested
in devoting your resources to such a project at this
time.  That is a different question than what is the
added functionality of the combining the two programs
and should be addressed as a different issue.  Also I
realize this would be a long term investment in the
association, and you would want to explore between
yourselves what value there would be.  However I might
also point out that Carl's software supports many
radios, not just the Orion and as such the marriage
between N1MM and N4PY would provide added
functionality to many users, not just Orion owners.
It may be that developing through the interface may
require less testing rather than more.

Enough diatribes!  I hope this sheds a little light on
my thoughts as to why I think it would be
advantageous.

73

Lee W9OY