Re: [TenTec] More on the Omni 6

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] More on the Omni 6
From: Jim Reid <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:09:04 -1000

Toby, W4CAK wrote, in part:

....Also, the rig (Omni VI) was very stable and on frequency all day long and I had no RFI problems even running the amp.

also,

I liked the idea of dealing with the factory direct and Ten- Tec service is a legend in these parts. I also like the idea of supporting U. S. manufacturers where possible.
Those are my thoughts and experiences about my Omni, not much to go on, but I hope it helps.

The VI+ is very stable in frequency IF you have the unit with the Oven temperature controlled main LO AND, you leave the DC power supply to the rig on 7/24; not the rig itself, but the PS must be on to keep that oven at temperature, the oven is on all the time that power is connected to the Omni power terminals.

I wish the Orion had an oven stabilized LO, or at least were optioanlly
so offered.  My Orion LO would drift down,  then up again some 50 to 60 Hz
for about one hour before at last coming to a stable frequency
somewhere near the 10 MHz spec frequency;  of course,  all was
within Ten Tec's spec for the rig;  still I didn't like the
turn on drift.  And,  it was super difficult to attempt to
"tirm" the TCXO tuning pot/cap,  whatever it is on the bottom
of the Orion,  just about impossible to set "exactly" on 10 MHz
and for the frequency to stay there,  even after a couple hours
of warm up.  Why?  Seemed to be some sort of mechanical relaxing
that would occur as soon as you left the torque off that little
tiny tuning screw head!

I wish I had my Omni VI+ back,  but the fellow I sold it to
a couple years ago has already emailed to me,  "No Way!".

Oh well, maybe I should pick up another one from someone else.

73, Jim W6KPI (used to be KH7M)