Re: [TenTec] Re Please tell me about the TT Omni VI+

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re Please tell me about the TT Omni VI+
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:29:47 -0700

On Sep 29, 2004, at 5:10 PM, JOHN wrote:

Hi Rob, if your happy with your kenwood and yaesu rigs thats great, just try and repair that kenwood or ask kenwood a question in regards to something that may seem a little bit oa a nusiance or whatever too you. Oh they'll respond alright with an e-mail their answer is genaerally do a reset.

What?

I repeat, I've talked to Kenwood and Yaesu and gotten free detailed advice and free parts for older rigs on several occasions. And Ten Tec has treated me well most of the time (but they don't have all the parts for some of the older rigs, just like ANY service department!). Its a wash, all of them have been very responsive when I wanted attention over my past 35 years or so of owning Kenwood, Yaesu and Ten Tec. All of them run out of parts for older rigs and cannot support something at a big loss. No big deal!

I have had both rigs you mentioned and they can't hold a candle to the omni 6 . My suggestion to you is to get on their reflectors where your remarks might be appreciated, even better buy an omni 6 and see what your missing. Oh by the way if you want great audio go on AM .

I hold onto my OMNI VI also. Finest rig for my money, for my specifications. Your last comment is a mystery since SSB is really AM minus carrier (and a sideband, but that's really immaterial to good audio quality.) So "good quality" (if you define it as, say, 2.8 KHz of audio) may be had quite nicely with SSB. I use my OMNI VI for such. The receiver may also be used to hear such nice audio with wider filters (and mods), though it is true some other radios come with wider SSB capability built in :-) I keep my Kenwood 850 for that reason!

Clark
WA3JPG