[TenTec] QSK-5

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] QSK-5
From: Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:24:31 -0700 (PDT)
I have used variations of the QSK-5 and its
predecessor the PIN-5 in 4 different amps.  The PIN-5
had a design error in the choice of a switching
transistor that repeatedly blew out.

I have never had a minutes trouble with my QSK-5, or
my QSK-5PC internal boards.  I presently use one
external and 2 internal.  I use them with a AL-80B
amp, a 8877 amp and an old much modified MLA 2500B.

For the external box I use the handshake circuit.  The
box has a jack on it that hooks to the amps PTT line
that pulls the relay closed and keeps it closed.  I
run up to 1500W through mine and keep the SWR below
the 1.5:1 range.  This switch will do what it is
specified to do but it will not behave like a relay as
far as abuse is concerned.

I don't run high power on rtty or the continious duty
modes so I don't know how it would hold up for that
kind of service, but for CW and SSB it works fine.
I've been using one of these since the late 80's, and
can recommend them as long as you use the switch
according to its specification, into a well defined
load.  No 3cx3000's into a wet noodle need apply

73 W9OY