[TenTec] RF in remote Pod problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RF in remote Pod problem
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:17:09 -0400
I was calling a DX station on 12 meter CW yesterday with my Orion and ACOM
1000.  I was running 1000 watts and noticed that RF was getting into the
remote pod causing random keys to be entered from the pod.  Needless to say,
this was not what I wanted to happen!  I have never had an RF problem in my
shack before as my antennas are located about 250 feet from the house.  I
decided to take a  look at the pod and see if anything had changed since I
had never had this problem before.  I removed the pod cover and checked the
pod case to see if it had continuity to the ground on the PC board.  It
didn't!  My ohm meter showed infinite ohms between the pod case and the PC
board.  There are 4 nuts that are supposed to carry ground from the PC board
to the case and they were all no longer making a good connection.  I added a
wire under one of the nuts and soldered the other end to the PC board
ground.  Now, I had a good ground to the case.  I put everything back
together and now it is working great again with no RF in the pod.  I thought
I would share this little scenario with everyone since I think it could be a
common problem.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC