[TenTec] Hercules 444

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules 444
From: Douglas <sparks06524@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:19:09 -0700 (PDT)

I got a Hercules 444 linear that actually works with
one minor problem. Fortunately, the finals have not
yet blown (knock on wood).

The K2 relay that bypasses the receive antenna isn't
working.

The relay itself tests fine with 12 volts applied.
The relay driver line only has about 1.5 volts out of
the control pcb. All components on the control pcb
have been checked or replaced. There seems to be
excessive voltage drop across R1 (50 ohm) resistor on
the control pcb and/or the voltage drop across Q1 is
excessive.

Ten-Tec's explanation for the operation of this
circuit makes no sense to me. Both K1 and K2 are
listed as having N.O. contacts. Both are driven by the
same voltage derived from Q1 on the control PCB, thru
separate dropping resistors. Yet, the manual states
that when K1 is open, K2 is closed and vice versa.

Anyone out there familiar with this circuit?

tnx,

Doug/WA1TUT