[TenTec] trouble shooting OMNI SIX<<<URGENT>>>

To: <service@tentec.com>
Subject: [TenTec] trouble shooting OMNI SIX<<<URGENT>>>
From: "Linda" <dlrwild1@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:59:13 -0400
Re: OMNI SIX problem

I own a Ten Tec OMNI SIX which has been upgraded to the OMNI SIX PLUS version.
It has been working perfectly for several years until a few days ago. I noticed
that my SWR readings on the transceiver meter are very high; increasing the
output power from 10 watts to 100 watts causing the SWR to be over 3:1. As I
increase the power, the SWR increases dramatically. I know SWR readings are not
a function of the power output; the SWR should be same at any power level (10
to 100 watts barefoot with the OMNI SIX).

I have tried to load the transceiver in to several different antennas that I
know are not shorted at the antenna or in the feedline. All my other radios
work with those antennas very well. I even loaded the OMNI SIX in to my 50 ohm
dummy load, but the SWR remains very high.

When using my OMNI SIX with my Hercules II amplifier, the overdrive light comes
on when the power exceeds 300 watts; the RF deck makes a crackling sound on the
lower right side of the RF deck. The amp seems to load up to full power while
increasing the drive on the transceiver. The SWR meter on the Hercules II is
also reading a high SWR. I am worried that I may have also damaged the Hercules
II RF deck in some way by loading the transceiver in to it with high SWR?
Normally, I can drive the Hercules II amp to full 500 watt power using only 50
watts or so from the OMNI SIX. I have never observed the overdrive light coming
on before, nor any of this high SWR at the rig or at the amp.

I can receive signals using the OMNI SIX without problems on all bands; the
output seems to fold back somewhat when the SWR increases. I also hear a slight
crackling sound coming from my 961 power supply/speaker, but the crow bar
protection circuit on the 961 does not kick-in. The transceiver seems to
function normally in ever other way except the high SWR.

Can the trouble be caused from a stuck relay inside the transceiver? Can the
problem be caused from one of the circuit boards inside the radio that has a
bad solder joint, a loose cable connecting boards?

I do not believe that any of the coax jumper cables connecting the rig to the
amp, then from the amp to the auto 253 tuner are at fault.

What are your service department rates per hour on repairing amateur gear? Do
you have any repair backlog at the moment? What is the turn-around time for
repairs?

If you would like me to try some other test(s) to help diagnose my problem,
please let me know. Thank you very much for your help and time. I am looking
forward to hearing from you very soon. I have always enjoyed using and buying
Ten Tec products. I know your service department is the best!

Thank you,
Robert N. Wilderman, K3SRO
dlrwild1@comcast.net