Re: [TenTec] Orion NR and AGC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion NR and AGC
From: "K Van Horn" <k7ec@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:20:00 -0600
Hi Gary,

Your SWEEP function should not be affected in any way by the NR function. It seems that the SWEEP function does freeze randomly from time to time, but as the refinement of the firmware gets better and better( and it is!), you should find that there is less interaction between seemingly unrelated functions! The only way that the various functions are related is that they are determined by the same processors, similar to all computer controlled radios.

Keep the faith, there is a new version of the firmware coming that should improve this aspect of the radio!(A lot of other little things have been fixed in the latest beta version!!) I have been using my Orion in the CQWW SSB contest on 75meters and its quiet receiver is just AMAZING!!

73 es Gud DX,

Kirby, K7EC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Tuck" <gtuck@mac.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 1:14 PM
Subject: [TenTec] Orion NR and AGC

Can anyone explain the interaction between the NR and setting the Threshold of the AGC? The manual states that, "When DSP NR is selected, digital AGC artificially reduces the threshold setting of the digital AGC--" Is it reduced to the default 3.03uv? I know that if I have the NR active, adjusting the Threshold control seems to have no effect. I like the NR for two reasons--sure helps with the urban QRN it seems and when I disable the NR, my sweep function freezes. (I did a master reset last week and then the Sweep seemed to work with the NR on or off, but it now has returned to it's old behavior. It will not work if NR is on. )

tnx, Gary