[TenTec] Model 544 frequency jumping

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Model 544 frequency jumping
From: Douglas <sparks06524@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:32:28 -0800 (PST)
>Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 14:27:03 -0800
>From: "Adam N." <adam2@n4ekv.com>
>Subject: [TenTec] 544 freq display jumping on TX
>To: tentec@contesting.com

>I have a nice 544 that has a problem where the freq
>readout jumps around while transmitting on some bands
> (15m comes to mind).  It does not seem to be
> changing my actual output freq.

>When I use the remote VFO (for TX and RX) the problem
>stops. I've read through the archives on this
>reflector at some possible causes
>(PTO rebuild, dirty band switch, unstable osc) but
>I'm not sure which to attach first.

>Thanks in advance.

>73,

>Adam N.
>N4EKV

Adam,

The most likely cause is RF getting back into the rig.
I had a 544 and it did this on a reglular basis.
First try the rig into a dummy load on the bands in
question.
If that proves the RF problem, check grounding.
Perhaps by getting a good earth ground directly to
both the rig and the power supply, you will reduce the
problem.

73,
Doug/WA1TUT