[TenTec] OMNI D series C help please

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI D series C help please
From: "Tony" <g3zrj@morsekey.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:36:39 -0000
Hi,
I've dredged through the archives but so far have had no success re the
following:

PTO backlash/hand capacitance
(I have fitted a piece of wire from a straightened out spring between the two
screws securing the PTO assembly to the front chassis to earth the shaft of the
PTO and to increase tension to reduce the "creep" when tuning LF which causes
the VFO to move about 300 to 500 Hz on a "semi random" basis on release of the
tuning knob.    Is this an acceptable means of attacking the problem? - or am I
likely to distort the PTO mechanism?

QSK heavy clicks -  I've heard rumours that this may be caused if a previous
owner has modified the rig for faster QSK...  can some kind soul please point
me at the board/component that I can check for this mod?

Finally here's one to make you chuckle...
Having bought this OMNI D to function as sole rig and knowing it wasn't exactly
in pristine condition I found the following:    The S meter was erratic and the
S meter lamp flickered a lot.... some joker had secured a tagstrip carrying the
supply to the lamp and the S meter lead to the front chassis via a rusty 1/2"
Wood Screw  - argggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

73  Tony G3ZRJ